SANTA MONICA, Calif. — The stage for Bill Cosby's next legal challenge shifts to California with a hearing scheduled Tuesday to set a trial date in a lawsuit accusing him of sexually assaulting a teen at the Playboy Mansion more than 40 years ago.
Judy Huth accused the comedian of forcing her to perform a sex act on him in a bedroom at the mansion around 1974 when she was 15.
The hearing comes less than two weeks after a Pennsylvania jury deadlocked on criminal charges against Cosby.
A mistrial was declared June 17 on charges Cosby drugged and molested Andrea Constand, the former Temple University director of women's basketball, at his suburban Philadelphia home in 2004. Cosby said the encounter was consensual.
Cosby's legal team declared victory after the mistrial, though Pennsylvania prosecutors vowed to retry him.
The comedian and actor once known as “America's Dad” for his TV role on “The Cosby Show” as paternal Dr. Cliff Huxtable has had his reputation tarnished with accusations of sexual abuse by nearly 60 women.
In the wake of the criminal trial, though, Cosby is planning town hall meetings in an attempt to restore his legacy.
Cosby, 79, is fighting lawsuits by 10 women on both coasts. Three have filed sexual battery or defamation cases in California, and seven have sued for defamation in Massachusetts, where Cosby has a home. He has denied any wrongdoing.
Attorney Gloria Allred, who represents Huth, said the judge in Los Angeles Superior Court judge may delay setting a trial date to let Pennsylvania prosecutors pursue the retrial against Cosby first.
A second deposition by Cosby was put on hold pending the criminal case. His first deposition in the Huth case is sealed.
A spokesman for Cosby didn't immediately return a message seeking comment.
- Constand to confront Cosby after parade of women take aim
- Cosby team turns to star witness with drug experts on deck
- Jury gets case after Cosby painted as predator, victim
- What will the #MeToo movement mean for Cosby's next trial?
- Cosby jokes in first show since 2015 he 'used to be' comedian
- Opening statements set in Bill Cosby's sex assault retrial
- At impasse, Cosby jury goes back to work on verdict
- Tensions rise as Bill Cosby jury struggles to reach verdict
- Growing frenzy outside court as Cosby deliberations wear on
- Bill Cosby jury to hear more of his deposition testimony
- Will Cosby testify at sex assault trial? Lawyers remain mum
- Jury to hear Bill Cosby's testimony about quaaludes and sex
- Jury may soon hear from Cosby, even if he doesn't take stand
- Cosby accuser to resume testimony in sex assault trial
- Cosby's lawyer attacks 1 accuser as sex assault trial opens
- Race, gender, fame all issues as Cosby jury selection starts
- Cosby to ask judge for outside jury for criminal trial
- Cosby, a year later: Will he seek deal or prepare for trial?
- Cosby judge to weigh potential testimony of 13 other women
- Cosby lawyers say prosecutors using 'casting couch' cliche
- Cosby held for trial; attorneys show glimpse of defense in preliminary hearing
- Bill Cosby due in suburban Philadelphia court for preliminary hearing on sex crime allegations
- Cosby’s lawyers seek to dismiss defamation case from model Dickinson
- Judge rules Cosby case can proceed; preliminary hearing scheduled for March 8
- Judge could rule on Cosby’s bid to dismiss sexual assault case; comedian claims he was promised immunity
- Cosby due in court as lawyers push to get charges dropped
- Cosby supporters waning amid feelings of betrayal
- BREAKING: Bill Cosby charged with sexual assault in suburban Philadelphia