MEDINA — Laura Parnell-Cavey will be sworn in as City Council’s Ward 1 representative at 6 tonight in the council rotunda at city hall.
She defeated incumbent Brian Hilberg, who had been in office for almost six years, in the November election.
“We’re like family up here,” Ward 3 Councilman Mark Kolesar said Dec. 11 at Hilberg’s last council meeting. “You walk out of here standing tall. You did a lot of good things for Ward 1.”
Parnell-Cavey, owner of Cool Beans Caf￩ on the square, will be sworn in by her father, Bruce Doom, at the organizational meeting.
“I’m looking forward to tomorrow,” she said Tuesday. “The holidays are over and I’m ready to start learning the new position. The community has been very supportive.”
Oaths of office
Also today, the following officials will take their oath of office:
- Mayor Dennis Hanwell, from Medina County Common Pleas Judge Christopher J. Collier;
- Finance Director Keith Dirham, from Medina Municipal Court Judge Gary F. Werner;
- Ward 3 Councilman Kolesar, from his mother, Marjorie Kolesar;
- At-large Councilman Paul Rose, from his son, Eric Rose, with Bible held by his parents, Paul and Inez Rose.
Council President John Coyne will make the following appointments today:
- Airport Commission — Bill Lamb, term expires Dec. 31, 2021;
- Community Investment Corp. — Rose, term expires Dec. 31.
- President of Council Pro-Tem — Jim Shields, term expires Dec. 31, 2019;
- Cable Access — Lamb, term expires Dec. 31, 2019;
- CRA Housing Council — Parnell-Cavey, term expires Dec. 31;
- CRA Housing Council — Lamb, term expires Dec. 31, 2020;
- Firemen’s Dependents Board — Parnell-Cavey, term expires Dec. 31;
- Planning Commission — Rose, term expires Dec. 31, 2021;
- Robby’s Voice Recovery Center Board — Parnell-Cavey, no term expiration available Tuesday;
- Strategic Plan Advisory Committee — Nicole Glatz, term expires Dec. 31;
Confirmation of mayor’s appointments Wednesday:
- Law Director Greg Huber;
- Service Director Sarafino “Nino” Piccoli;
- Jonathan Mendel, planning and community development director;
- Mike Wright, rec center director;
- Kimberly Marshall, economic development director;
- Jansen Wehrley, parks director.
Mayor’s appointments Wednesday:
- Historic Preservation Board — Elizabeth Biggins-Ramer, term expires Dec. 31; Patty Stahl, term expires Dec. 31, 2021;
- Board of Zoning Appeals — Kris Klink, term expires Dec. 31, 2021;
- Planning Commission — Andrew Dutton, full member, term expires Dec. 31, 2021; Robert Thompson, alternate No. 1, term expires Dec. 31, 2020; Brian Hilberg, alternate No. 2, term expires Dec. 31, 2021.
Confirmation of Dirham’s appointment:
- Deputy director of finance — Lori Bowers, expires Dec. 31, 2021.
- Finance — John Coyne, chair; Lamb, Parnell-Cavey, Shields, Rose, Dennie Simpson and Kolesar;
- Health, Safety and Sanitation — Kolesar, chair, Coyne and Rose;
- Public Properties — Shields, chair, Parnell-Cavey and Simpson;
- Emerging Technologies — Rose, chair, Coyne and Shields;
- Special Legislation — Lamb, chair, Shields and Rose;
- Streets and Sidewalks — Simpson, chair, Rose and Lamb;
- Water and Utilities — Parnell-Cavey, chair, Kolesar and Simpson.
Contact reporter Bob Finnan at (330) 721-4049 or email@example.com.