MEDINA — Two holiday shopping trips are planned for seniors via Medina County Public Transit to SouthPark Mall in Strongsville.
A roundtrip ticket is $6 for seniors and disabled individuals, and $10 for the general public. To sign up, call (330) 723-9670.
The trips are 12:30-6 p.m. Dec. 7 and 21. The pickup locations will be the Office for Older Adults, 246 Northland Drive, Medina, and Brunswick Community Recreation and Fitness Center, 4095 Center Road.
Laura Toth, director of the Medina County Office for Older Adults, and Brunswick At-large Councilman Alex Johnson requested the trips.
Concerning other trips, public transit Director Mike Salamone said this week that 414 clients were transported in October on on-demand routes. Total ridership for the month was 6,245 trips. Year-to-date ridership is 59,916.
He also said public transit has received several grants:
- Federal Transit Administration grant of $299,000 to help with operating assistance and to purchase four vehicles. Salamone said a van is scheduled to be delivered in the next two weeks and three buses are expected to be delivered in February;
- 2019 Urban Transit Program grant worth $53,962, which will be used for operating expenses;
- Elderly and Disabled grant for state fiscal year 2018 worth $16,234. It will be used for the fare assistance program.
Other county news
- Ryan Carlson was appointed to the Medina County District Library Board of Trustees. His term will expire Dec. 31, 2023.
- Paul Barnett, Brunswick service director, and Matt Jones, Brunswick consulting engineer, were appointed to the Transportation Improvement District. Their terms will expire Dec. 31, 2019.
- Thomas Hazelwood was appointed to the Medina County Volunteer Peace Officers Dependent Fund Board. His term will expire Dec. 31.
Contact reporter Bob Finnan at (330) 721-4049 or firstname.lastname@example.org.