The Browns are done with quarterback Robert Griffin III after less than a year.
The team will release Griffin today, a league source confirmed to The Chronicle-Telegram. He was due a $750,000 roster bonus Saturday and the team determined he wasn’t part of the future.
The Browns signed Griffin to a two-year, $15 million contract on March 24, 2016. Coach Hue Jackson was blown away by a private workout after Griffin had been cut by Washington and the team hoped Griffin could resurrect his career in Cleveland.
It didn’t happen.
Griffin was given the starting job but suffered a broken shoulder in the final minutes of an opening loss. He missed 11 games before returning for the final four.
He led the Browns’ only win of the season, 20-17 over San Diego on Christmas Eve, but finished 1-4 with a 59.2 completion percentage, two touchdowns, three interceptions and a 72.5 rating.
Griffin was the No. 2 pick of Washington in 2012 and was Offensive Rookie of the Year. He’s been unable to replicate the success and faces an uncertain future.
The same can be said of the Browns’ quarterback situation.
The Browns acquired Brock Osweiler on Thursday from the Houston Texans, but the trade was made for a second-round pick and Osweiler is expected to be traded or released. That would leave Cody Kessler and Kevin Hogan, both entering their second seasons, as the only quarterbacks on the roster.
The Browns will try to trade for Patriots backup Jimmy Garoppolo, but he may not be available. They also have the Nos. 1, 12 and 33 picks in the upcoming draft.
The addition of Griffin played a factor in the Browns trading the No. 2 pick last year and passing on quarterback Carson Wentz, who had a promising rookie season with the Philadelphia Eagles.
- Browns Analysis: Progress made, questions remain after fast start to free agency
- Browns Commentary: Some creative solutions for a plethora of problems
- Browns won't get chance at QB Tyrod Taylor, and free agent safety Tony Jefferson prefers Ravens
- (UPDATED) Browns acquire 2018 2nd-round pick, take on QB Brock Osweiler's $16M salary in stunning trade with Houston Texans
- Browns have needs everywhere, money to spend with free agency set to start
- Coach Hue Jackson says Browns will do everything they can to find QB, discusses top prospects in draft
- UPDATED: Browns QB search takes a turn amid reports Patriots' Garoppolo might be off the trade market
- Browns Analysis: Jimmy Garoppolo should be top option to solve QB problem
- Browns Notes: Robert Griffin III finishes strong, hopes to return for 2nd season, says he can help win games